Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Turku


The Expedition reached Turku yesterday afternoon where we take a much-needed rest day. The Expedition in its ever creative accommodations strategy is now holed up in a convent, run by the Bridgettine Sisters, an order established by the Pope in 1290. I arrive just before the heavens opened up again. The place is spotless, but the rules are strict. I never thought I would hear myself saying, "I got to get back to the convent before 10." The ride into Turku brought views of more farms, replaced by gleaming suburan shopping centers, gas stations and fast food joints. Downtown Turku has much character, with the older buildings reflecting a mix of Swedish and Russian styles. Swedish is the language here, and it is a bit easier to decipher than Finnish, which has been a struggle.

The bike has also sustained its first equipment failure. Shortly, after arriving at the convent I discovered a flat rear tire. That has been repaired so I was able to scoot around town again. I've booked passage for tomorrow on one of the Viking Lines mega ships heading for the Äland Islands. I'm not sure what happens after that as I have some vague plan to bike up the island archipelago using another ferry system that caters to bikes. Most of my stuff has dried out so I'm ready to head out again.

No comments: