Monday, July 2, 2007

Helsinki, City of Bike Paths

The Riding with Reindeer Expedition has landed in Helsinki. The team is tired, but in good spirits. This means that I am fine and the bicycle arrived undamaged. Helsinki is a beautiful city of water, curving streets, parks, trams and a tangle of designated bike lanes. Except for the downtown, it is also a city that is largely empty as many residents have fled for summer homes by lakes and the sea. I went riding a few hours after I arrived even though I had not slept for about 24 hours (the flight over). I put the bike together and by evening I was on the streets. I promptly got lost. Fortunately, Helsinki is a smallish big city and all roads eventually seem to bring you back to the water. I'm here three more days, enough time to determine the route out, and learn some more Finnish.

1 comment:

Markku said...

Bob, sounds great. Glad to hear you and the bike are in good shape. Look for the bike path north along the river to Tikkurila, Tuusula (heart of Finnish culture in the last century) and Jarvenpaa.