Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Recuperating in Kuopio


I decide to spend an extra day in Kuopio to try and shake this nasty cold. I've have a sore throat and am coughing. I'm feeling better today and I now believe I will be ready to start the ride into North Keralia tomorrow. In the meantime, I had a chance to visit a pharmacy. Unlike American drug stores, the pharmacies here stick to drugs, no gift cards or beer specials. The pharmacy had rows and rows of chairs meant for people waiting to have prescriptions filled, and very little in the way of over-the-counter medications. Remember Finland has universal free health care so I assume prescriptions are free. One of the many white-smocked druggists helped me find the one brand of over-the-counter cough lozenges (Codetabs) that they carried. They tasted awful, but worked. That combined with benedryl has helped keep this bug under control. She also recommended that a good sauna might help. So I'm off to the largest smoke sauna house in the world this afternoon.

In the afternoo, I trek to Pujoli Hill, one of the prime attractions in town. The path to the top of the hill is steep, but winds through a lovely spruce forest. At the top is a magnificient view of lakes and forests as far as the eye can see. But the most interesting sight are the two huge ski jump towers. I now have a new appreciation for the sport. The towers rise up out of the forest like some sore of science fiction space tower. I'm dizzy just looking up at them. Future Finnish Olympians are practicing their jumps. Instead of snow, the ramp surface is water-slickened artifical turf. Coaches stand on platform hundreds of feet down hil with stop watches and walkie talkies, shouting instructions to the jumpers (Ilka get that back arched! Petre tips up man!). An electronic read-out records the speed, which ranges between 80 and 90 Km/hour. It is mesmerizing to watch the skiiers, some who appear to be pre-teens, swoosh down the jump ramp, then become airborne for what seems like a long time, before landing with a swish far down at the base of the hill.

This may be my last posting for a few days. The terrain to Nurmes and then to Kuhmo looks challenging. I've done some maintenance on the wagon. I hope this strengthens the axle. The weather (downright hot yesterday) is cool again, but I can't tell if it's going to rain.

3 comments:

david santos said...

Good work, congratulations

luiluilui said...

Bob . . . have you tried pickled herring or maybe some smoked salmon to help with the cold. When do you intend to reach the capital of Lapland, so Daniel and I can send you a care package.

Markku said...

Savu Sauna, quite a special experience. Be sure and take a photo of yourself when you get out! How about an article for "Adventure Cyclist" extolling the beauty of touring in Finland?