Thursday, July 5, 2007

Finding the Way

Today, the Expedition sent a scout team west to find a route out of town. After a 35 mile ride the party reported that a direct route had been found with abundant sources of food and drink. With this information in hand the Riding with Reindeer Expedition will leave its comfortable situation in Helsinki and ride into terra incognito tomorrow.

The above means that I took a morning ride to improve my map reading skills. I think I'm doing much better. I'm getting used to reading the Finnish-Swedish signs and with the help of my trusty magnifying glass I can actually see the map. I have to quit burning holes in it though. My route took me along National Bike Path 1, a lovely, but impractical route that winds along coast, through forests and some of the most amazing residential areas I have ever seen. The Finns really know how to plan a city. The houses and apartments kind of melt into the landscape. Everything is accessible by bike. In more than 200 miles of riding during the past four days I have yet to venture onto a road with traffic.

Yesterday, I devoted to solving the mystery of my Finnish great grandmother. The archivist at the Jewish Community Center just shook his head sadly when I was only able to give him a name. "They came and went from all over, who knows?" he told me. The visit wasn't in vain, though, I spent a delightful hour with the synagogue's cantor, who gave me the grand tour and a little history about the community in Finland. It seems I am descended partially from either soliders or used clothing merchants.

Yes, things are expensive in Finland, and for those of you wondering, so far, save for the purchase of a second stove (couldn't find fuel for the MSR) and about 100 eruos worth of maps, I've pretty much stayed within the Riding with Reindeer Expedition rather tight budget.

1 comment:

mike ullmann said...

NO traffic. Sheesh.
As to the magnetic declination, you may have a problem with compass "dip." More by e-mail.
But: Helsinki = 7 degrees 9 minutes E, according to NOAA.
Turku = 6 degrees 16 minutes E.
Maybe a compromise at 7 degrees E?
M