Saturday, August 4, 2007

Lapland Rocks!


In the morning, the sun shines; 24 hours now without rain, a frickin miracle. After last night's motorcross entertainment I'm not in the mood for sticking around. I pack up quickly and leave. The road climbs into the hills. Within an hour I see the biggest hills, almost mountains, I've seen in Finland. I can also see ski lifts and a jump tower. I am approaching Ruka, billed as Finland's premier ski resort. But it is summer and Ruka is quiet. The Finns have been trying to lure visitors here in the summer by offering big discounts on accommodations. The center of the village is ripped up for construction. Pile-drivers pound away at new foundation supports. Cement trunks whoosh past. I wonder if this will be the peaceful place I envisioned for my multi-day rest. At the information office I pull out the tattered ad I had cut out the previous day from a promotional guide. Yes, they do have apartments and no they don't face the construction, but look over the hill on the other side. I am exhausted after six straight days of riding, much of it through horrible weather. This is no time to be picky. I rent the "clubi" apartment sight unseen. I cannot pedal another mile.

When I open the door to my third floor apartment, I am astounded. I had expected a modest studio, or one-bedroom at best. What I see is a 1,400 square-foot penthouse. I wander my new digs in amazement. There are two bedrooms, two bathrooms, two showers, a loft with four more beds, a giant kitchen with enough utensils and cooking stuff to feed an army. There is a washing machine, a huge box-like machine that turns out to be a drier, a big television and my own personal sauna. And the view! I have a 180 degree view of all of Southern Lapland. How lovely it looks from here. No longer will I need to consult obscure weather reports. I can watch the weather from one of my two couches. The master bedroom is adorned with a pair of antique skiis. The walk-in closet is 25 times the size of the tent I've been thrashing around in. The twists and turns of this trip have been boggling. One minute I'm living like a wild beast in the woods, my shoes rotting away, surviving on hard-boiled eggs and cheese. The next minute I'm wandering around in a palace.

I will be here for three nights, but I may stay longer. I may never leave.

I quickly stocked up on beer and stuff I could cook for the next three days. Another wonderful surprise - the market is in the same building as the apartment, just two floors down.


1 comment:

Mom said...

I think you shouldstay in Ruka. We're coming to visit MOM