Thursday, August 2, 2007

Expedition reaches Lapland, rides with reindeer

A ray of sunlight slants in through the window of my hotel room in Hossa. Am I dreaming or is the sun actually out? It is.

Today is supposed to be my rest day, the day that the big storm hits with all its fury. But I learned from the news the previous night that the big storm hit yesterday. It came early and I rode right through it. Today is going to be decent, then another storm is expected. There is no time to waste. I will try to get to Kuusamo at the southern fringe of Lapland.

The sunlight dapples through the forest bringing out the different hues of green. Lakes shimmer blue and cottongrass fluffs lazily in the breeze. Reindeer, lot's of them, emerge from the wood, staring at me as I pedal by. Unlike the solidary animals I saw a few days ago, these all wear brightly colored collars around their necks. During one stretch, I crest a hill only to see three large reindeer with magnificant antlers clomping my direction. I take a picture, calling them the three amigos. The reindeer all seem to be fascinated by the bike. They stare at me and after concluding I'm not a wolf they clomp over for a closer look. The reindeer have huge feet, adapted for the snow. But too me, it looks like they are wearing shoes four sizes too big. After concluding I'm not a fellow reindeer, they usually loose interest and wander back into the forest. Today, I am truly riding with the reindeer.

The weather holds all day, the first day of riding in more than a week that I haven't been soaked. I have stopped for a few minutes at the visitor's center in Kuusamo where they have a free internet access. I may spend a couple of days here if I can find a cheap hotel. Some sort of celebration is in order. According to the map I have reached Lapland.

2 comments:

mike ullmann said...

The expedition discovered the rare collared raindeer?
Mike

Selva said...

i celebrate my christmas holidays in Alpine Peaks i think this would be my memorable christmas in my life, i found the real happiness in my life