Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Riding With Reindeer: The Book

Since returning from my ride, I have been busy writing a book about my adventures in Finland and Arctic Norway. Like the trip itself progress has been slow, but steady. At least in the relative comfort of my study I am not dodging rain storms. I've managed to maintain a fairly regular writing schedule and as of this day I'm about two-third of the way finished with the first draft. The blog only skimmed the surface of the trip. In the book, I provide many anecdotes on Finnish history and culture that were relevant as I made my way through various parts of the country, as well experiences that I could not get into the blog. Through writing the book and reviewing my journals, notes and photographs, I more or less have been able to recreate the trip in my mind. Sometimes I find it hard to believe I actually did it. How did I manage to rouse myself from my little tent eat a few morsels then ride a folding bike through the forest and then the soggy marshes of Lapland for 50 days! It's amazing what you can do if you just snip off a little bit each day. Writing the book has been like that. Writing an entire book is rather daunting, but my goal was to just try and get a few pages down every other day or so. The plan seems to be working and now I have about 300 pages finished in rough form. By mid-summer I will begin the editing process, which is always brutal. By the first of the year I hope to have the manuscript to the editor, and by next year at this time, if all goes according to plan (and it seldom does), Riding with Reindeer - A Bicycle adventure through Finland, Lapland and Arctic Norway - should be in the bookstores.

5 comments:

Brian said...

Looking forward to your new book Bob. What a great adventure you had. Keep up the great work...Brian.

Unknown said...

hi Bob - a friend of mine on the Bainbridge library board sent me a link to your blog, knowing my interest in traveling by bicycle. Congratulations on a wonderful adventure, I enjoyed your stories. A couple of questions - is the book you mention in your bio, "Gentleman From Finland," about your bicycle trip? Where is it available? Also, I see that you lead Sierra Club treks, do you also lead bicycle trips? I've been looking for local connections to travel by bike, and thought you might have some ideas. I'm also a journalist by trade and would like to write about bicycle exploration/adventure from a woman's point of view. Probably too many topics for a blog comment, but I'll post this anyway and see what happens. catherine.nickum@gmail.com

Markku said...

Hey Bob...how about book?

Mark Hilman

Markku said...

Still waiting! Today I met with Vladimir Filipov of the Russian Cycle Touring Club....

Leader Profile said...

My apologies for not looking at the blog recently, but I have been busy working on the book. Riding with Reindeer - A Bicycle Odyssey through Finland, Lapland and Arctic Norway -- will be available through my publishers website (Rivendellpublishingnw.com) in late April. Send me your e-mail (rmmiguel2@comcast.net) and I will put you on the list to be notified regarding book signing events in the area.